In honor of "Get Caught Reading" month in May 2015, Meher Mount asked for reading recommendations related to Avatar Meher Baba. Wayne Myers chose The Awakener Magazine: A Journal Devoted to Meher Baba.
Excerpts and photos from "The Awakener Magazine online are used by permission. All quotes by Meher Baba, Mani Irani, Mehera Irani, Eruch Jessawala, and Adi K. Irani in The Awakener Magazine are copyrighted by the Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual Public Charitable Trust. Used by permission."
A Recommendation by Wayne Myers
Although long out-of-print, every issue of The Awakener Magazine: A Journal Devoted to Meher Baba is available online in its original format.
Published from 1953 to 1986, The Awakener is a treasure source of Meher Baba’s direct messages and aspects of His work during the last two decades of His physical lifetime. It offers numerous personal accounts from disciples and those in Meher Baba’s contact plus spiritual essays, poetry, art, photos, and book reviews.
Online, you can access the table of contents of every issue and link directly to each article. You can also view all the original covers which always had a photo or drawing of Meher Baba. A search engine on the website homepage enables specific inquiries.
Filis Frederick Writes About the Genesis of The Awakener magazine
The Awakener was a 33-year labor of love by Editor Filis Frederick in dedicated service to Meher Baba. It was supported over the years by many staff assistants and contributors. Permission was given to Jeanne Kassof in 2003 to scan and make a website online for all of the The Awakener Magazine issues.
To celebrate The Awakener's 30th birthday in 1983, Filis penned a few comments excerpted below:
“It was in 1953, the year after I met 'God in human form' — Meher Baba — that He gave me permission to publish a magazine for Him in the West, with full authority to print His discourses and messages.
"In fact, He sent us special material and photos, from time to time. We published some impressive 'firsts' — the Prayers, the Highest of the High, the 12 Birthday Messages, and so on; the 'best of Baba' we republished in a book, The Path of Love.
“From Satara, 1954, came this message: 'Baba wishes to tell you that He thinks The Awakener is coming on wonderfully, and knows the love that is put into it and is very happy about it. He sends His love and blessings to you and all who help to make it such a message of Love. We all enjoy it very much.'"
"Baba's Pearls" ARE AN ONGOING FEATURE
“Baba Pearls” was a regular feature of short quotes compiled from Meher Baba’s messages. A "pearl" from Volume 1, Number 2, 1954:
Selections - Memoirs, Essays & Articles
Below are direct links to a sample collection of more than 30 years of highlights published in the The Awakener.
These testify to the publication’s breadth in chronicling Meher Baba’s life and the experiences of those in Meher Baba’s service and contact.
Most of these selected highlights remain unique to The Awakener, although a few were published elsewhere in later years.
- "Notes from a Few Pilgrims" Lyn Ott, Ivy Oneita Duce, Samuel Cohen, Amy Schwartz (Vol. 11, Number 3, p 13, 1966).
- "LSD or Love - The Master in Action" by Allan Cohen. (Vol 11, Number 4, p. 4, 1967).
- "Memories of '52" by Filis Frederick. The beautifully expressed story of Meher Baba's 1952 first visit to the Meher Center in Myrtle Beach and of Filis' personal journey and finally meeting Meher Baba for the first time in 1952 (Vol.14, Number 2, p.4, 1972).
- "The Sojourn of a Beggar to the Abode of Love" by Lyn Ott (Vol. 14, Numbers 3 and 4, p.5. 1973).
- "The Inscrutable Silence of Avatar Meher Baba" by C.D. Deshmukh, (Vol. 7, Number 4, p.7, 1961).
- "What Meher Baba's Teachings Mean to Me" by Dr. H.P. Bharucha (Vol. 6, Number 4, p.4, 1960).
- "Thirty Years in the Service of Meher Baba, 1932-1962: The Backetts" by Kitty Davy (Vol. 9, Number 3, p.1, 1963).
- "Heroines of the Path: Baba's Work with Women in the West" by Filis Frederick (Vol. 20, Number 2, p 12, 1983).
- "Memories of the Master" from a taped talk by Aloba (Vol 19, Number 1, p 36, 1980).
- "What a Mast Tour is Like" by Adi K. Irani (Vol. 16, Number 2, p.23, 1976)
- "The Destination in Our Midst," from taped talks by Eruch Jessawalla (Vol 19, Number 2, p.55, 1981).
- "A Visit to Meherazad - 9th December 1962" by Kari-Jo Harb (Vol. 8, Number 4, p. 11, 1964).
- "How to Love Baba," by Meherji Karkaria (Vol 19 Number 2, p 6, 1981).
“Journey of the Heart: Recollections of Meher Baba’s American Visit, July 20-August 7, 1956" by Filis Frederick is in four parts. Much of Filis’ 1956 account was incorporated into Lord Meher: The Biography of the Avatar of the Age Meher Baba by Bhau Kalchuri.
Part 1: "Journey of the Heart" (Vol. 4, Number 2, p. 15, 1956).
Part 2: "Journey of the Heart" (Vol 4, Number 3, p. 14, 1957).
Part 3: "Journey of the Heart" (Vol 4, Number 4, p.12, 1957).
Part 4: "Journey of the Heart" (Vol. 5, Number 2, p.8, 1958). Includes Meher Baba's visit to Meher Mount.
There were four special issues devoted to significant events and gatherings especially called by Meher Baba:
- "The Three Incredible Weeks with Meher Baba (1954)" by Charles Purdom and Malcolm Schloss (Vol.2, Number 3, 1955). This is a special Issue that was later published in book form.
- "The East-West Gathering" introduction by Filis Frederick. This is a special issue on the East-West gathering called by Meher Baba for November 1962 in Poona (Pune), India. This was the last time that most of the Westerners able to attend saw Meher Baba in physical form. (Vol. 9, Number 1-2, 1963).
- "The Last Darshan." This is a special issue with accounts of The Last Darshan, also known as the Great Darshan that was held in Poona, India between April-June 1969. The Darshan had been called and planned by Meher Baba prior to His physical passing on January 31, 1969. (Vol. 13, Number 1 and 2).
- "The American Sahavas with Meher Baba" by Charles Purdom. This is a special issue on Meher Baba's 1958 visit to America and includes numerous messages by Meher Baba. (Vol 5, Number 3, 1958).
In 1971, there was a special issue that included a number of photographs of Avatar Meher Baba throughout the years.
- “The Life Divine: A Special Photo Issue” (Vol. 13, Numbers 3 and 4, 1971).