“Whenever I visit a place and stay there, however short a time, its spiritual atmosphere becomes greatly elevated…”
-Avatar Meher Baba
a special opportunity
There is a special volunteer opportunity at Meher Mount for a couple who is interested in serving Avatar Meher Baba.
Being a Manager/Caretaker is both demanding and deeply fulfilling. You meet Meher Baba's devoted followers who come from all over the world along with the many new people who simply show up at Meher Mount. They are all drawn by an unseen spiritual fountain of energy and the natural beauty.
As caretakers, you manage the day-to-day activities at Meher Mount - ranging from welcoming these visitors to sharing Meher Baba's life and words to helping maintain Meher Mount's buildings, grounds and equipment.
Being a volunteer Manager/Caretaker at Meher Mount is a calling. It demands patience, tolerance, a willingness to learn, diplomacy, teamwork, and hard work. And above all, a sense of humor.
Each set of caretakers brings a unique set of skills that seem - in hindsight - destined to particularly fit that stage of Meher Mount's evolution.
Today's caretakers continue the legacy of helping to preserve Meher Mount for generations to come in honor of Meher Baba.
THE JOY OF BEING IN NATURE
When you spend a day or two at Meher Mount, you will see the deer drink from the pond and birds soar overhead. Occasionally, you will see a fox scurry across the property or spot a bobcat on the prowl.
Meher Mount is a semi-wilderness oak woodland that is home to butterflies, gophers, snakes, spiders, and a variety of native plants.
As a caretaker, you are part of this natural environment helping to preserve it for the wildlife.
The typical duties required of the Manager/Caretaker team include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Greet Visitors: Greeting and orienting visitors is the focus whenever Meher Mount is open Thursday-Sunday, Noon to 5:00 p.m. Each year, Meher Mount welcomes hundreds of visitors who are moved by their time at Meher Mount.
As a caretaker, you have the opportunity to welcome these visitors, share the history of Meher Mount, and often introduce the visitor to Meher Baba, His words, and His life. For many, it is their first contact with Meher Baba.
- Manage Facilities: Maintain all buildings, grounds and equipment in good order.
- Support Events: Set-up and take-down for about three to five on-site events per year.
- Work with the Board of Directors: Participate in board meetings and work together as team to care for Meher Mount.
- Handle Administration: Manage day-to-day bookkeeping and administrative duties.
Successful Manager/Caretakers have a realistic understanding of the expectations and demands of Meher Mount.
- A Calling: Caring for Meher Mount is a calling. Service to Meher Baba is a primary motive for applying for this position. The Manager/Caretaker team is responsibile for nurturing, protecting and preserving Meher Mount on a daily basis.
- Relationship to Avatar Meher Baba: Knowledge of and respect for Avatar Meher Baba.
- Two Adults: Caring for Meher Mount requires two adults who are either related (e.g., spouses, siblings) or have a time-tested relationship.
- Good Physical Condition: Caretakers need to be in good health with the ability to do sustained physical work indoors and outdoors.
- Availability: Although Meher Mount is open four days a week, this role is a full-time position.
- Skill Requirements: The Caretaker responsibilities require all-around skills in managing a public space: general gardening and yard/land maintenance; handyman skills; a working knowledge of some heavy equipment and tools; housekeeping; administration; ability to interact with the public; and an ability to make every visitor feel welcome.
- Equipment & Licenses: A valid driver's license is required for each person.
The Manager/Caretaker opportunity is a volunteer position with living quarters and utilities provided. Meher Mount is supported entirely by charitable donations.
Meher Mount reimburses for use of a personal vehicle for Meher Mount business.
Meher Mount is remotely located at the top of a mountain. It takes approximately 20-30 minutes to travel to Ojai or Santa Paula for shopping and errands.
HOW TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP
- Discuss the position and ask questions. Your contact is Sam Ervin, chairman of the Recruitment Committee. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/text at 562-810-2282.
- Submit a written statement answering the following questions for each adult:
- Why does this opportunity appeal to you and fit this stage in your life?
- What are your skills and background and how do they apply to the duties as you see them?
- What other professional and personal experience do you feel is relevant?
- What is your relationship to Meher Baba centers and activities?
- What is your current profession and time availability to fulfill the responsibilities of Meher Mount?
- Send this statement to the Recruitment Committee, c/o Sam Ervin at email@example.com.
- Tour the property and facilities to get an overview of the job duties and requirements. Also, plan to tour the area to see the surrounding community and environment during your visit.
- Volunteer to be temporary caretakers for a week (or longer) with a critical eye to what life might be like living here on a longer term, day-to-day basis.
See what previous Manager/ Caretakers at Meher Mount say about the joy and fulfillment of being a caretaker.
QUESTIONS? USE THE FORM BELOW
"If you want Meher Mount, I will keep it for you through hell, fire and damnation!"
- Agnes Baron, co-founder and lifetime caretaker, to Avatar Meher Baba, 1952